Rosemary

Fun With Books Blog

Flat-Out Love

Flat-Out Love - Jessica Park

After reading Left Drowning by Jessica Park, I downloaded Flat-Out-Love and I am so very, very glad I did.It is one of those books that I could get lost in and just put the world on hold. The story had my full attention from page one and I must say my heart broke for this family. Everyone seemed so disconnected from life, and each other, yet tried to pass themselves off as a fully functional family, but it was not working, they were slowly falling apart.The characters were truly wonderful, especially Celeste and Matt. The author did a truly amazing job with Celeste's character - she came alive on the page, her quirks and mannerisms and the way she spoke were amazing to read. She was a complex and troubled young girl with depth and wisdom not usually found in someone her age, but the author got it so right – I would love to have followed her path to adulthood. Celeste is without a doubt one of my all-time favorite characters. Matt, what a great character he was too. He had the world on his shoulders and tried so hard to keep his family from falling apart, I felt truly sorry for him - he was strong and caring, but the burden was taking its toll on him. He needed someone to rescue him and his family from the disaster which was waiting to happen - and then Julie entered their life quite unexpectedly, and she turned their life upside down and inside out and each family member was touched by her presence. Even though she never knew the secret the family was harboring, she instinctively knew how to help Celeste, and in doing so, helped the entire family.The story took a really unexpected turn towards the end. I was not expecting it at all, but it was the perfect ending to a truly lovely story. Perfection.I loved this book. It is beautifully written with a fantastic story line and wonderfully quirky and unusual characters.