Rosemary

Fun With Books Blog

The First Days: As the World Dies

The First Days: As the World Dies - Rhiannon Frater This is a truly GREAT book. I can’t say enough about Rhiannon Frater’s writing style – it just flows so effortlessly, and is an absolute pleasure to read.The story starts tragically, with Jenni trying to come to terms with the fact that her husband and two children had turned, and being faced with what they had become. As fate would have it, another survivor who was also desperately trying to escape her own personal tragedy, heard her screaming, and went in to rescue her.The two strangers, one strong (Katie) and the other slightly crazy (Jenni) escape, and after a few really scary encounters along the way, eventually take refuge with a group of people who were fortifying a portion of the town they lived in. This is where the story really gets interesting. They join the survivors to help with the fortifications and with the protecting of the area – for some reason I really love reading about that kind of stuff ……..As luck will have it, the town had a few really hunky single guys, and it was proven once again (lol) that even when faced with death every day, and trying desperately to prepare for the worst possible scenario, love waits patiently …….. or not so patiently for some.The story line was so believable, it was scary. I also really enjoy the way Rhiannon builds her characters in the book – each one of her characters have their strong points and their weak points, even the heroes have their weaknesses which makes it interesting and real. It also makes it so easy to relate to them, and their daily struggle to survive.This is a really great start to the series. I loved it. On to ‘Fighting to Survive‘