Rosemary

Fun With Books Blog

Divergent (Divergent #1)

Divergent (Divergent #1) - Veronica Roth I really enjoyed this book .....there may be small spoilers in this review.The main character, Beatrice, is a 16 year old girl living in a dystopian future where society is divided into five factions - the members of each faction share the same personality traits as their fellow faction members, and each faction has certain roles which they carry out within the society.When a person turns 16 they take a simulated aptitude test which supposedly helps them to decide which faction they want to join, according to the personality traits they display during the test.Beatrice made the choice to transfer away from the faction in which she was born, the Abnegation faction (selflessness), to the Dauntless faction (bravery), but things won't be easy for her as she displays more than one of the traits necessary to become a Dauntless member, and that puts her in danger, so it has to be kept secret.The book focuses mainly on the initiation trials, which are grueling in themselves, but for a initiate from a `pacifist type' faction, it is even more challenging. After the initiation trials, their rankings within the group determines if they will become a member, or if they will have to leave the faction and become 'factionless', which is obviously not something anyone would want to be. Because of this the competition is strong as only 10 initiates will be chosen to join Dauntless, and some of the initiates will do anything to be one of the chosen 10.Tris (she change her own name when she joined the Dauntless initiates), had some hard lessons to learn as she progressed through the trials. She learned a lot about herself and her fellow initiates as well as about the leaders of the Dauntless faction.And of course, Four - he is an 18 year old Dauntless instructor, and is in charge of training the new initiates. He is a really great character.The story took some very unexpected turns which took me by complete surprise many times, and which kept me turning those pages until the very last.I look forward to starting book 2 - Insurgent. Book 3, the final book in the Trilogy will apparently be release in October 2013, so that is something else to look forward to.I highly recommend this book to anyone looking for a good Dystopian book. It was a great read with great characters. Loved it :)