Rosemary

Fun With Books Blog

The Testing

The Testing - Joelle Charbonneau When I received this book to review I was thrilled. I love Dystopian fiction.The book revolves around a group of promising young high school graduates who have been chosen to undergo ‘The Testing’. Only the best students in the United Commonwealth are chosen, and each candidate has to pass all four stages of the Testing, as well as the final evaluation with the Selection Committee before being allowed to enter University and study further. These students are seen as the future leaders and thinkers of this post-war civilization, and they will (hopefully) help to restore the land and the country which was devastated by chemical, biological and nuclear warfare.Once chosen, they have no choice in the matter, they have to go. Free choice? No such thing.Cia, is a 16 year old girl from a loving and close-knit family in a remote colony, who is proud and excited at being chosen. She sets off on this, her first adventure, with ominous warnings from her father, a Testing graduate himself, to trust no one. She starts the first stage of the testing and soon realizes why her father told her to trust no one. Within days of arriving at the capital, she no longer has any illusions about the current leaders of the Commonwealth and their methods, as she, along with the other graduates are forced into situations that really stretch the imagination. As Cia progresses through the challenges she is pushed to her limits, but she manages to hold it together, and to plan and think ahead, but it is difficult when you are not just fighting to survive in a hostile environment, but are fighting to survive the evil traps set by the Testers as well as the murderous intentions of those you least suspect. I really enjoyed this book. I did struggle a bit with a few of the situations – believability wise, but all in all it was a very good read, and I look forward to Independent Study, Book 2 of the Trilogy to see how the problems which are facing Cia, and the country as a whole, are resolved.Expected publication for The Testing: June 4th 2013