Rosemary

Fun With Books Blog

The Last Bastion of the Living: A Futuristic Zombie Novel

The Last Bastion of the Living: A Futuristic Zombie Novel - Rhiannon Frater This is why I read ….Every once in a while a book comes along that keeps you glued to the story unfolding. This, to me, was one of those books.One of the paragraphs in the book says a lot about the story, and I found it powerful in the build up to what was to follow.“Today was the last great battle against the creatures that had wiped out nearly all of humanity. Today would either ensure the future of generations to come, or start the countdown to human extinction”.I think Rhiannon did a really great job with a difficult but very interesting story line. She is a skilled story teller and she weaves her story around strong, well developed characters that draw you in from the start, especially Maria and Dwayne who have to overcome the Inferi Scourge, politicians, scientists and even their own leaders, who all have their own agendas, some of which are shocking.The military manoeuvres, the machinery and weaponry used and how it all worked, was a bit over my head at first but she did a superb job in explaining it all, and I thoroughly enjoyed it.I also liked that the book was futuristic; it was great to read a book about how humanity was surviving years after the apocalypse, but how sad that politics and power are still so high on the agenda even when humanity is on the brink of total annihilation (yeah, I know it is a book, but the whole power play is so totally believable and so typical, it had me seething at the unfairness of it all)The book is fast paced and full of action, with brave soldiers fighting an impossible battle – even though they have/are a ‘secret weapon’, the task that was set for them seemed doomed to fail, and each and every step they took kept me on the edge of my seat. Interestingly too, it illustrates humanity’s hope for the future in a world where nothing can be taken for granted, and yet the actions of one or two people can destroy what so many are trying to preserve for future generations.I believe this is a stand-alone novel, but if a sequel is ever written, I will be one of the first to buy it – it was BRILLIANT!!!!