Rosemary

Fun With Books Blog

Artful Dodger (Maggie Kean Mis-Adventures)

Artful Dodger - Nageeba Davis I really enjoyed this book – it is a fun, lighthearted read and I was really sorry when it ended. It has the perfect balance of mystery, romance and humor, which is exactly what I was hoping it would be.The main character, Maggie, is a struggling artist who has no idea, or no interest in fashion and does not care a hoot about what anyone has to say about it. She is a straight talker, and has real trouble keeping her thoughts to herself and keeping out of trouble. It must be quite something to be on the receiving end of her spontaneous outbursts as Sam Villari, the detective in charge of the murder inquiry, certainly found out. The verbal sparring sessions between the two of them had me laughing out loud at times. There were a few instances in the story when I wanted to shake Maggie – she seemed to have a death wish, by either chasing leads to find the killer without thinking of her own safety, or horror of horrors, eating food well past its sell-by date.I love the writing style – it flowed well and moved fast, without overburdening the reader with all the little details, and that is something I really like – the small details have their place in certain books, but this book did well without it.A really good read. I look forward to reading more from Nageeba Davis.