Rosemary

Fun With Books Blog

Perverse

Perverse - Larry Rodness When I first saw this book cover and read the very short synopsis, I knew that I had to read this book.I was busy with another book at the time, but put it aside for this one, which is not something I would normally do, but it had piqued my interest and I just had to read it.I also don't normally read books with a vampire-type theme, but I am so very, very glad I read this one as it is different, in every way.About the story:The main character is Emylene Stipe - a 19 year old second generation Goth living with her parents in Toronto, where her parents own and run a Goth club.Emylene is a rebel. A rebel, rebelling against rebellious parents - can't get more rebellious than that.Our young Goth rebel eventually moves out of the family home, and into her own space. She finds a job and carries on with her life until she meets an older man, who was different to anyone she had ever met before. All was well until he went on a business trip and she never saw him again. On an impulse she bought a drawing in an old antique shop which he had shown an interest in prior to his `disappearance'. This one act unleashes a series of events that will change her, her family and the life of everyone around her.As she tries to make sense of what is happening, she learns about the history of her family, and the Vrykolakas that entered her life so unexpectedly.My thoughts:This was a really great story that kept me interested from page one until well after I turned the last page.It is well written, and flows beautifully. I especially enjoyed the great characters, and enjoyed the history behind the story of the Vrykolakas character in the story. The insight into the Goth culture was, for me, a bonus.Given that the book is about an un-dead creature, the story is surprisingly not overly violent, nor is it overly sexual. The balance is perfect and well written.I would not hesitate to recommend this to anyone interested in this genre. It was a very, very good read and I enjoyed it - a lot.