Rosemary

Fun With Books Blog

Shades of Amber #1 Welcome to New Brooklyn (Volume 1)

Welcome to New Brooklyn (Shades of Amber #1) - Tom Hobbs I found this book while browsing on Twitter the other day - I am so glad I did because it is a fantastic story.It is an Apocalyptic type novel (my favourite), set in the year 2066 in the `old' New York. I really enjoyed the background details the author gives regarding the collapse of society - it is always a bonus to find out exactly what happened, and how it happened. It also explains how the population set up safe havens underground, and their eventual return to live above ground years later when it was deemed safe.The story focuses mainly on two groups - the residents of New Brooklyn and the residents of Uptown Colony, and their day-to-day lives. The two groups were not exactly over-friendly with each other, but when the very existence of the two colonies is threatened by a truly frightening outside force, they are forced to band together and face what is coming for them.The characters in the story are all great, the author did a really good job creating strong and interesting characters and the story line is exactly what I love to read.The detailed descriptions of the area in which they live was also great, it gives the reader a good idea of the world in which they lived.I really enjoyed this book and look forward to the next in the series.