Rosemary

By Nicholas Ryan

Published: September 15, 2013

Genre: Post Apocalypse

I LOVE Zombie fiction.

I have a few favourite zombie fiction authors and have read all their books, they are:  Jason Brant, D J Molles, John O’Brien and James N Cook ........  and now Nicholas Ryan has been added to that list.

When I first heard about Ground Zero: A Zombie Apocalypse, I was excited but also nervous as there are quite a few really bad (in my opinion) zombie books out there.  A few days ago I read on Facebook that the book was available on Amazon, and I was there to download it immediately, hoping that it would be great addition to my zombie library.

On the first page of the book is this:

“This is exactly the kind of intelligent, action-packed zombie thriller that fans of D J Molles and Max Brooks will love - ZombieBookBlog”

And I thought, Yeah?  Raising my eyebrows slightly ........... boy, was I in for a surprise.  This book IS that good.

I loved the story and I particularly liked the fact that we knew from chapter one what was happening.  The who, why, and how of the story was told upfront which was a pleasant change, as I could then sit back and read without the usual questions hanging in the air.

It is extremely well written and was such a pleasure to read. Good writing can have you on the edge of your seat throughout the book (no distractions), and this is what happened with Ground Zero.  The author and his editor (?) did a really good job.

The action was non-stop from the start right up until the incredible end.  It was nerve-wracking, and each action packed scene was well thought out.

The characters were all great, with good background information which made the read even more enjoyable.  Some of the characters had to make some really tough choices, but when faced with the end of the world, your survival and the survival of others makes every decision you make vital, and sometimes, difficult decisions need to be made.

There was one ‘thing’.  Jack, the main character in the story on one or two occasions – when blood was flowing, stress levels were at their highest and zombies were practically breathing down his neck – took the time out to admire the curves of  the women he came into contact with.  I found this strange, but my husband didn’t think so – he firmly believes that an attractive woman will always grab your attention no matter what is happening around you – really?  Hmmm

I am not sure, but I think this is a stand alone novel, but I sincerely hope I am wrong as I would love to read more about Jack Cutter and what happens next.

This is a really great story.  I loved it and highly recommend it.